The Student News Site of Francis Polytechnic High School

Anime: Why I Love It and Why You Should Give It a Chance

January 8, 2021

Opinion

By Jose Rosales

December 10, 2020

(An artist’s drawing of chibi versions of the characters from Darling in the Franxx starting with Zero Two on the top left and ending with Futoshi on the bottom left) Art by C5 Zhongli @koppiehart (Twitter Art)

Anime is one of the largest industries in the world, and rightly so. Made up of the imagination of the human mind, and emotionally packed by the human heart, anime relates to the lives of many people, transcending generations.

Japanimation, another name for anime to most people, originates from our good friends in Japan! Some are hand drawn then animated by computer software or generated by the same computer software. Anime is like a person (weird comparison but just bare with me) as it comes in different shapes and sizes (lengthwise, short or long), they are like fish in the sea (may all look the same on the outside but trust me they are different), and they all make you feel different emotions just by watching and tagging along for the ride alongside many different characters in their own unique worlds. Genre separates an anime as some are love stories, action, adventure, horror, adult, hell, you name it and it exists! There is something out there for everyone, and all one has to do is surf the sea of anime.

I came to the realization that anime is far more than just another form of entertainment when I watched Attack on Titan and Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid. These two titles are very different and respectable in their own way: Attack on Titan plants the seeds of fear and despair with the seemingly endless waves of man-eating titans attacking the last bastion of hope for humanity while Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid brings a more realistic view of human relationships but following with many heart-touching moments with an unorthodox pair(s) and symbolism.

Makoto Takiya (Left) standing next to Fafnir (Right) in Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid. (Google image)

Well, I can say that anime has definitely been a part of my life that shaped me into becoming who I am today. Hell some of the quotes I live by and tell people even come from my favorite animes like Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid and Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Anime is not going anywhere anytime soon, and so the emotional roller coasters that they are will go on forever I hope. Restating what I said earlier, anime is full of emotion and creativity, I know I’m not the only one who can say that as others can agree that they’ll hit the feels eventually. Whether it be being chased by a giant man-eating titan that gets the blood pumping or a blossoming love story between two weebs that gets you all mushy inside or even the cold-hearted and painful truth that sets you free from a painless and perfect lie can be what people prefer.

The next time you see any anime or hear the word of the latest one flowing around, don’t be so quick to judge it as bad. Give it a chance and perhaps you’ll love it, and if you still hate it, you can say at least you gave it a chance. 

The Poly Optimist • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Poly Optimist Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *